Monday, May 27, 2013

Why Bottle When There is Tap?

Four years ago I made a pact with myself to stop drinking bottled water.  This was brought on because of seeing such an increase in plastic water bottle waste around and it was further brought home by the documentary Blue Gold- World Water Wars.  The trailer for the movie is below.

Since making this pact I have easily made the transition to relying on my Sigg water bottles (I love all the different designs, options and sizes) and the tap other than a few rare occasions when tap water was just not available.  These situations were: an outdoor wedding ceremony on the hottest day of the year and traveling on a plane for long distances when I have run out of the water that I brought with me in my own bottle.  Other than that it is has been all tap for me.  

Our Family's Water Bottle Collection: My husband's sports bottle (check out the dents), my husband's other bottle, my babies bottle, my short trip bottle, my favorite and most used bottle and my long trip bottle.

It has been such a simple change in my life but I hope that it has some how made a difference and I hope my story can help others to stop and think about the amount of bottled water they consume.   If you are wondering how to travel on a plane with your own bottle but worried about security, they will let you bring an empty water bottle through security (we usually put ours in the tray out of our bags) and then fill it up either at a drinking tap or a restaurant after you have gone through security. Remember to open the bottle before take off and then before landing because of the pressure change.

Here is a very well put together graphic from a website called Beyond the Bottle that shows, in a simplified format, the many reasons to stop drinking bottled water.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment